“Tourism that takes full account of its current and future environmental, social and economic impacts, addressing the needs of visitors, the industry, the environment and communities in equal measure”.
In 2018 we began the vital steps of formulating a clear responsible tourism policy which will endeavour to deliver in the workplace and marketplace. A Green Team was formed and in conjunction with Ecotourism Ireland, a leading responsible tourism training and certification company, we formulated a code of practice and principles to work towards. In addition, we are committed to providing support and training to all our staff, on an ongoing basis, to implement positive change and monitor results.
We have adopted the following principals and commitments:
- To adopt the UNWTO definition (Mission Statement) of Responsible Tourism into our company policy.
- To appoint a Green Team to lead our Responsible Tourism drive.
- To produce a Responsible Tourism policy that reflects the definition addressing environmental, socio/economic impacts, needs of visitors, the industry and communities.
Our Environmental Policy focuses on:
- Environmentally sustainable practises
- Natural Area Focus
- Benefiting local Communities
- Responsible Marketing and Communication
- Cultural Respect and Awareness
- To Engage with Leave No Trace for training and membership – With an emphasis on training, which will be adapted to reflect our business needs.
- Supplier and Customer Engagement:
- Engage in pre-travel communication with all customers on sustainability and on Responsible Tourism impacts on Irish holiday (for example: Bring a water bottle, use public transport, offset your carbon, buy local).
- Encourage Irish tourism industry suppliers to adopt responsible tourism and business practises i.e. single use plastic reduction, energy and waste reduction.
- To participate in a carbon off-set programme either independently or in partnership with our representative association’s annual project.
Here is how we are working to achieve our objectives:
- We monitor our use of energy and natural resources and have reduced our requirements.
- We endeavour to comply with all applicable environmental legislation and maintain documentation to demonstrate compliance.
- Demonstrate our commitment to continual improvement by setting targets and objectives for our products and company activities and review these measures on a regular basis.
- We encourage an open communication environment whereby all employees can actively participate in the environmental management system.
- Provide the necessary information, instruction, supervision and training to enable all persons, affected by the company undertakings, to carry out their environmental duties.
- Choose suppliers and contractors that adopt best environmental practice.
- Inform, motivate and encourage all stakeholders to play an active role and commitment to our Environmental Policy.
- We communicate with our suppliers to encourage them to support our environmental objectives.
Our Company Environmental Policy is reviewed on an on-going basis in accordance with our company procedures.